Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Avoiding Reality

Back in France. Yep, that is where I am. After 3 weeks of traveling around in the States, I find myself back in France.
Coming back to my own house has been nicer than I thought. The quiet is definately welcome, as well as being surrounded by my own things and sleeping in my own bed. The piles of laundry and unpacking, however, are not a handosme sight... I will eventually get everything put away. Just give me one more day to recover from jet lag. How long can I use that excuse???

I have concluded that I am avoiding the reality of living in France. During the past few days of being home, I have done as little as possible to interact with the outside French world. If I dont see them, hear them, then I can still pretend that I am just living in an extension of the States. Oh, the glorious USA, how I miss thee. Today I ventured out to the military base an hour away to buy groceries.... We could only live on frozen corn, toast and couscous for so long. By choosing to buy my food at the American military grocer (commissary) I once again did not have to deal with any potential need to speak French.

How long can this last? Maybe tomorrow I will venture out, embrace the Frenchies and dive back into the reality that this is my home for 2 more years. Or maybe not. Denial will have to work for now.

No comments: