Monday, August 10, 2009

One Year


A year ago today we moved to France for Shane to work with NATO. As I reflect back over our year, so much has happened!


The biggest event was the birth of Kayden, the joy of our lives. Neither of us could have ever imagined how amazing parenthood would be. Though there are many stressful days where we want to ship her overseas to grandparents, a morning smile or an evening cuddle erase all of those frustrations.... Large doses of coffee help too!


Over the last year we have...

.... learned to somewhat navigate the French health care system and realized that sign language gets you far when trying to communicate.

.... improved on speaking and understanding French. With lessons 2x a week I should hope so! We are making an exciting break through- learning past tense. Woohoo!!!

.... made friends that have helped us adjust to life in Lille, translated for us, listened to our concerns and fears, and laughed with us as we all together struggle to understand French culture.

.... traveled to over 8 European countries and hope to add many more to that list

.... eaten massive amounts of French pastries and baguettes. Yum!

.... realized French cheese and sausage, are, well, interesting. Perhaps they grow on you?

.... been blessed by friends and family visiting.

.... learned to play Mario Cart wirelessly with friends in the USA, making the distance seem like nothing (less at least)

.... learned to appreciate the silence of not having TV and a baby sleeping.

.... found a church to attend (only one English speaking one in Lille)

.... realized that Nutella can go on anything and make it better

.... grown as a couple, weathering the ups and downs of marriage, a new baby and a crosscultural experience.


Over the last year, I realize that Lille has somehow become home. How and when did that happen, I have yet to figure it out. I know God has placed us here for 3 years. I find strength in knowing that He sets a path before me and always is by my side. When Shane first called me to tell me that we were moving to Europe, this song was playing on the radio. It has since become an anthem for my life...



Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death

Your perfect love is casting out fear

And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life

I won't turn back

I know you are near

And I will fear no evil

For my God is with me

And if my God is with me

Whom then shall I fear?Whom then shall I fear?


(Chorus:)Oh no, You never let go

Through the calm and through the storm

Oh no, You never let go

In every high and every low

Oh no, You never let go

Lord, You never let go of me


And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on

A glorious light beyond all compare

And there will be an end to these troubles

But until that day comes

We'll live to know You here on the earth


Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds onAnd there will be an end to these troublesBut until that day comesStill I will praise You, still I will praise You

3 comments:

amanda said...

You guys really have had quiet a year. Congrats on year one in France. And that is one of my favorite praise songs. Love it!
Miss you all!

Anonymous said...

OK- so the song wouldn't do it as much justice without you singing it I'm sure... Ok... ok... I will sing the chorus with you to make it THAT much better! Then the next song will have to be "waves of mercy, waves of grace" with all of the NA NA NANANANA'S right in place! I'm glad you guys are having a good time out there and making the most out of it. You really live a life many would love to be able to experience! You are loved! Tam

Tyler & Cathie said...

So much has happened for you guys this year! Fun to see how God continues to shape and stretch you as a couple and family! Love it & love the Matlock's!