Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Missing Starbucks

I love coffee. True confession. For those who know me, this is not a shock. I can tell you my favorite drink at every major coffee chain and which airports around the world house certain coffee shops. The obsession all started back in 10th grade while living in Sweden. Across from my high school was the perfect cafe called "Kanel". There, I was introduced to my first cappocino and my life has never been the same.

All that said, while being pregnant, my cravings for coffee have lessened, some days they are non- existent. Yet when the desire for coffee does hit, I need a piping hot mug in my hand ASAP.

Now throw moving to France in the picture. No flavored creamers in the stores (Shane and I are used to 4 in our fridge), little tiny shots of super strong coffee are the norm, and if you want a "grand cafe au lait, s'il vous plait", its going to cost you 4x as much as the standard. This large coffee is nothing that exquisite either- it is just in a bigger cup with a side of milk.

I am rambling, this I realize- but I do have some exciting information to share! Yesterday was a breakthrough day. I went to Cafe Meo with some friends and realized they had lattes with flavored syrups and other such novelties. AND they came in big to- go cups! Life will be ok in France! Ordering was a bit tricky though. Despite pointing at the item on the menu (After Eight- expresso, milk, mint and irish cream syrup, my mouth is watering now!), I received a very bewildered look from the barista when asking for decaf. Its sounds the same in French and English to me, so whats the confusion. He then nodded in understanding, or so I thought. When the order was brought to our table, my luscious beverage sat there steaming with a peculiar smaller cup of coffee on the side. What? My assumption is that he thought I wanted a side of decaf. Oh well. I poured it in to the After Eight, hoping that it was decaf and that I was not giving the poor baby 2 shots of espresso instead! She would go crazy! All that said, it was a wonderful delight on my tongue, just what was needed on another rainy day in Lille.

1 comment:

Valerie Abrahamsen said...

I chuckled the whole way thru reading about your coffee experiences. With such persistence, you will get just what you want----eventually.