Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pulled Over

Yesterday we were on our way to our OB appointment, attempting the drive to the hospital for the first time by ourselves. Shane was behind the wheel because the car we are borrowing is so monsterous, it can probably drive right over all the mini euro cars. I find this intimidating, and gladly let Shane take charge. We were feeling rather confident, armed with 2 maps and the GPS. There were signs for the hospital and we thought that going through the round about would be the shortest way.

Not so much.

As soon as we got on to the round about, we realized about 8 cars were pulled over with multiple cops milling about. Hmmm. Strange. In my head, I thought, Oh well, they will just let us go, we look innocent. Wrong again. The police signaled for us to pullover and asked for our license and registration. At this point, we realize that our international drivers licenses were safely at home and we have NO idea where the registration is in the car. I start to break a sweat while Shane sits calmly. We try to tell the cops we speak English but they just keep rattling away in French- not helpful! At this point in the story, I might add also that Shane was in his full army uniform, our car had the French government/ foreigner plates and we couldn't look more American if we tried. Still, no mercy.

Finally we find the registration and proudly (ok, frantically in my case) hand it to the cops. Turns out, from my basic understanding of French, that the lane we had been in was a red paved lane meant only for emergency vehicles. After this proclamation, they let us go on our merry way. All that trauma for that small tidbit of info! I was about to pull the pregnany/ baby card but luckily got away without taking the situation to that level.

The conclusion of the story...
1. Shane is much calmer in situations involving getting pulled over. Me, on the other hand, well, lets just say I pray hard and almost break out in hives.
2. Every one has to have a cop story when they are overseas! Now we have ours and hopefully no more will be added to the repitore.

2 comments:

Chris & Amanda Dufour (a.k.a. Topher & Blondie) said...

"Dwight you ignorant slut!" - Don't you know the red lane is for emergency vehicles. JK.

When are you guys going to be on iChat so we can... well, chat. I miss your musk, yes your musk too Karen.

-Topher

Connie said...

Karen...I'm with you not so good at getting pulled over. I am Shane's mom's cousin, Connie from California. I also have a blog and love it. It's a great way to stay up to date with everyone and not have to email each person individually with all that's happening in your life. AND I love pictures. You are due a week after my daughter, Danielle and she is having a boy. Can't wait to see your new little one carrying on the Johannes clan legacy. Looking forward to hearing of your excitement in France. Visit me at Connie49.blogspot.com. Connie